Saturday, May 26, 2007

Unpacking Assumptions

What is a good use of technology in the math and science classroom? What would such a learning experience and environment look like? What would be some characteristics of what it is and what it isn't?

Being in the senior Alternate program, I am expected to “teach” practically all the subjects available to grade 11 and 12’s. There are a few more advanced subjects that we do not offer such as Physics and Auto. Consequently, I would not be considered a “science” or “math” teacher. Yet, I do teach those subjects. My view on the aforementioned questions may differ from the actual math and science teacher. I believe in any subject, including math and science, should have technology as a support system for learning. The technology itself cannot overwhelm the course content. Digital media has allowed us to provide excellent visuals and tools for students. However, we cannot have the case that “the medium is the message” as Marshall McLuhan would say. We cannot lose the actual learning that needs to occur. If the technology itself is too effective, we can see students paying attention to the process, not the content. I feel that for a classroom to use technology effectively, it cannot be the immediate focus. It needs to be readily available, for student use and for instructor use, yet it cannot be a distraction. In Prince George, I have heard of a pilot project that provides each grade 11/12 student with a wireless-enabled laptop. Although I do realize that our educational system is heading towards something similar to that, it is a danger when the medium itself is distracting. I know when I was completing the Education program at UBC; I was using my wireless laptop for unrelated activities in class. I am not saying everyone would be distracted, but there is the potential. Thus, it is vital to have limits on the use of technology in the classroom. Possibly there should be restrictions as to when one could use a laptop or any other media device. Personally, I would take advantage of all the online math games in my classroom. I wouldn’t necessarily use it to replace teaching the basics of math, rather, I would use it supplement the learning. It would be a fun way to practice, instead of standard word problems. In science, I would use the available digital media online and in hard copy for students to see examples or a virtual reality of phenomena such as plate tectonics and chemical reactions. In addition, the students can manipulate things in a virtual program as experiments. Yet, to sum up, it is important that content comes first.

No comments: